Accessibility statement of the University of Helsinki mooc.helsinki.fi learning environment
This accessibility statement applies to the mooc.helsinki.fi service (UH MOOC) and it was created on 22 September 2020. Educational Technology Services of the University of Helsinki has assessed the accessibility of the service.
The learning environment of the site is Moodle-based Open LMS. The Learning Technologies Group plc (LTG) is responsible for the accessibility of the Open LMS software.
The UH MOOC service includes plugins whose accessibility is the responsibility of the relevant software providers. Such plugins include H5P, Group Choice and Custom Certificate. Some plugin providers are yet to publish accessibility statements or instructions.
Content producers (usually teachers or other administrative officials) are responsible for the content they produce for MOOC areas. Educational Technology Services of the University of Helsinki offers support to MOOC content producers for producing accessible
State of accessibility
The UH MOOC aims to comply with the AA level of the WCAG 2.1 guidelines. At the moment, Open LMS complies with the WCAG 2.0 guidelines. For the time being, the learning environment does not meet all relevant requirements.
- Poor contrast - 1.4.3: Contrast (Minimum) (Level AA)
- The visual presentation of text and images of text has not a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1.
- Level 2.4.6: Headings and Labels (Level AA)
- The heading levels are not in right order.
- Language menu – 3.2.4. Consistent Identification (Level AA) and 4.1.2 Name, Role Value (Level A)
- The language menu button is named according to the language. The button should be described in a way that users who do not speak Finnish are able to identify it as a language selection.
The shortcomings will be remedied during the updates.
The accessibility requirements do not apply to the following content of MOOC areas:
- Content intended for a restricted group for a fixed period
- Content produced by external parties
- Files produced independently for public or recurring use (e.g., doc, PDF, odt) published before 23 September 2018
- Videos or recordings produced independently for public or recurring use published before 23 September 2020
- Live video or audio streams not to be published at a later date
Even though the statutory requirements do not apply to content produced by external parties and added to MOOC areas, such additions should be avoided if they hinder the realisation of the areas accessibility.
If you notice accessibility issues on the website, first submit your feedback to the administrator of the MOOC area (e.g., teacher). If they are unable to assist you, please contact the UH MOOC administrators by email at moodle(ät)helsinki.fi.
If you are not satisfied with the answer or do not receive an answer within two weeks, you may file a complaint with the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland. The website of the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland contains information on how to submit a complaint and how the matter is processed in Finnish and Swedish.
Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
Accessibility supervision unit
phone +358 29501 6000 (switchboard)